Saturday, December 1, 2012

SOUP ON SATURDAY - Turkey Carcass Soup

 I am sure most of you have tossed your turkey bones out by now, but while thoughts of Thanksgiving and leftover turkeys still lingers on my mind, I wanted to share with you my recipe for Turkey Carcass soup. Before you think, "yuck!", look the recipe over and really consider giving it a try. It is absolutely wonderful! I missed out on getting to make it this year, as the person that brought the turkey to our Thanksgiving dinner, threw the bones out in the trash before I could intercept them. That just killed me! That lost pot of tasty soup has been on my mind so much this past week that I think I am going to have to cook me a small turkey just so I can get a good pot of soup. This works well with either a baked or smoked turkey (or fried, for that matter). So go ahead, give it a try, you will be surprised at how wonderful it is!

Turkey Carcass Soup

  • 1 fresh turkey carcass (from a cooked turkey), all meat removed
  • 1 cup drippings from turkey (or more to taste)
  • water to fill cooking pot
  • 3 fresh carrots, thinly sliced
  • 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
  • 2/3 cup chopped onions
  • 2-3 cups finely chopped, cooked turkey
  • 1 1/2 T. dry parsley flakes (fresh is also good but use a little more)
  • 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 (12-ounce) pkg. small noodles, cooked according to package
Pull apart the turkey carcass bones and place in a large pot with pan drippings. Cover with water. 

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and hard simmer for about an hour. 

Remove all bones with slotted spoon. When cool enough to handle, remove any remaining meat that you may still find on the bones and set aside; discard bones where pets won't be able to get them.

Add all of the turkey, carrots, celery, onion, parsley flakes, salt and pepper to the pot of now wonderful broth. 

Return to simmer and cook until vegetables are tender.

Add cooked noodles; heat through and serve. Mmmmm..... good!



Note: This recipe is very flexible. The amounts of the vegetables is easily alterable. You can also add other vegetables that you like to the pot. This is the blend that my family likes, although I sometimes like to also add canned tomatoes and corn. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment